[Osmf-talk] OSM Uganda Local Chapter application

Allan Mustard allan.mustard at osmfoundation.org
Fri Nov 27 21:36:56 UTC 2020

That's pretty much my recollection, too.  Yes, Christoph, there were
concerns raised and pertinent observations made, which we shared with
OSM Uganda, and when we got positive responses back, including an
amendment to the OSM Uganda constitution, we decided it was time for
community consultation to get underway.

apm

On 11/27/2020 4:08 PM, Tobias Knerr wrote:
> On 27.11.20 20:36, Christoph Hormann via osmf-talk wrote:
>> So my question to the board is:  Have there been any concerns raised or
>> pertinent observations made internally during the review of the OSM
>> Uganda application that are not part of the documentation of the
>> application available on the OSMF website?
> Just describing my personal recollection here, and I was not one of the
> board members involved in direct communications with MapUganda, so take
> this with a grain of salt:
>
> There were several aspects that at least some of us on the board found
> concerning or unusual while reviewing the MapUganda application.
>
> Among those was a requirement in their constitution for board members to
> meet a certain minimum level of education. Their constitution was since
> changed to drop this particular requirement – you can compare Article 9
> between the versions of the document on the OSM Foundation wiki:
> https://wiki.osmfoundation.org/File:OSM_Uganda-Constitution_2020.pdf
> Note that the newer version still requires skills in one of a list of
> fields, although the list is relatively broad if it's generously
> interpreted.
>
> Another observation was that their organizational structure, as depicted
> in the application¹, appears rather hierarchical, with dedicated
> management roles, an idea of appointing people into roles, etc.
>
> This also relates to a broader concern that MapUganda seems to have a
> strong focus on running paid projects – based on several aspects of
> their applications and submitted documents, including their financial
> statement² where projects appear to be by far their main source of
> income. This could at least potentially give raise to new issues (e.g.
> relationship of the chapter with volunteer contributors not engaged in
> organized projects; competition between the chapter and community
> members wishing to offer similar services as the chapter and/or apply
> for grants).
>
> There were other topics mentioned, but my impression is that the ones
> above that featured the most in our deliberations. Note that the board
> didn't have an unanimous consensus on whether and to what extent these
> observations were problematic, so I think it's very valuable to get
> feedback from the community. I found the thread very insightful so far!
>

> ¹
> https://wiki.osmfoundation.org/wiki/Local_Chapters/Applications/Uganda#Organisational_structure
> ²
> https://wiki.osmfoundation.org/w/images/2/21/OSM_Uganda-Audited_financial_statements_2020.pdf