[Osmf-talk] OSM Uganda Local Chapter application

Douglas Ssebaggala erunayo at gmail.com
Sat Nov 28 01:56:04 UTC 2020

Thank you Heather, Samson, and OSMF for the responses,

I will again be specific with these 5 cents;

   1. As Heather had advocated for gender equity, MapUganda has already
   *tried* to ensure this in the past (see author of the liked post)
   <http://www.mappingday.com/content/winners-mapping-challenge-are>, and
   with the current board <https://mapuganda.org/board.html>.
      - It would help if OSMF can have equity in decision making
      <https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Strategy/Wikimedia_movement/2018-20/Recommendations/Ensure_Equity_in_Decision-making>
      so that local communities can be allowed to implement their own decisions
      to meet their differing needs.
   2. The minimum level of Education (UACE) *is and was* needed to ensure
   sustainability, innovation of the data or mapping ecosystem, that's why
   MapUganda has broad skills and fields like drone mapping/data collection,
   this is in addition to other projects that have been done over the years.
      - UACE was based on what already exists in Uganda for Members of
      Parliament and Presidents, and also exists in some other countries
      <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_presidential_qualifications_by_country#Turkey>
      .
      - It has only been dropped recently
      <https://www.parliament.go.ug/news/4744/mps-drop-education-requirements-local-leaders>
      for the Lowest local Administrative unit positions, but UACE is
      comparable to GCE
      <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uganda_Advanced_Certificate_of_Education>
      A-Level in the UK.
   3. Management roles and paid projects are inevitable in a growing
   organisation, whether commercial or non-profit.
      - Someone who has been a volunteer
      <https://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Volunteering> for 1 - 5 years can be a
      project or community manager, and if there's funding, it would only be
      priceless to pay them.
      - OSMF shared *its plans for hiring additional paid staff *some time
      ago, MapUganda already had this during its inception.
   4. MapUganda has already expressed *some* level of transparency by
   sharing financial statements which indicate sources of income,
   including membership fees and expenses.
      - A skim of MapUganda's application would have been OK (just like
      others
      <https://www.openstreetmap.org/user/%E1%9A%9B%E1%9A%8F%E1%9A%92%E1%9A%90%E1%9A%94%E1%9A%8F%E1%9A%94%E1%9A%8B%E1%9A%9C%20%F0%9F%8F%B3%EF%B8%8F%E2%80%8D%F0%9F%8C%88/diary>),
      and it would already be an OSM Chapter by now, but this
extensive review is
      actually better for insights on past and future Local Chapter
applications.
   5. The amended proposal *should be more closely aligned to the way that
   small non-profit organisations are structured and operate.*  I do
   understand that some NGOs do become quite large and complex, but *I
   don't see signs of a Uganda LC following that kind of path to scale for at
   least several years.*
      - I hope we can now or at some point we will see the signs of
      MapUganda having followed that path already, and not as a small
non-profit
      organisation.
      - I *almost* found this statement like an insult after spending 7
      years (2011 - 2018) building the Ugandan and Global OSM
Community (*behind
      the scenes*), but then picked the positives, like the suggested
      changes or getting to know any other *unknown reasons* for the
      rejection of this application

It's good to share facts
<https://simple.wikiquote.org/wiki/Mark_Twain#cite_note-1> in an open and
friendly environment/community, there are a few more cents and input i can
share to this after the weekend, but will be on the look out incase of any
urgent response needed.

Regards,

*Wikimedian in Uganda
<https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Community_User_Group_Uganda>*