[Osmf-talk] Possible AoA Amendment #2: Your boss can't force you to vote a certain way

Rory McCann rory at technomancy.org
Sat Oct 24 09:50:23 UTC 2020

On Sat, 24 Oct 2020, at 11:28 AM, Andy Allan wrote:
> But importantly, not to annul their votes. So we would find out after
> the election that there was a voting ring, expel all the members, but
> still have to appoint their candidates as board members anyway. That
> hardly seems like a good solution.

Additionally, the board can only vote to expell an member if “in the board's reasonable opinion, that person's conduct interferes or is likely to interfere with the Foundation achieving one or more of its objects” (§18). Does being part of a paid voting ring count?

They can then appeal to the next general meeting, and they remain a full member (or assoc. member) until then. (§§20→21).

> Perhaps there is a middle ground involving putting a policy to the
> vote at an AGM, or something similar.

Legally, we need to have an actual text to vote on well before the AGM, I'm pretty sure we can't decide on the day. I welcome more ideas & brainstorming, hence why I started this discussion on this mailing list.