[Osmf-talk] OpenLitterMap now open source GPL-v3.0

Seán Lynch seanlynch at umail.ucc.ie
Sat Oct 24 21:56:56 UTC 2020

Hi everyone,

I thought you might be interested to know that openlittermap is now and
finally available open source

<goog_1087885741>
https://github.com/OpenLitterMap/openlittermap-web

Litter mapping is an important catalyst for the development of citizen
science, as it is globally ubiquitous, extremely topical, and everyone
knows what the objects are. I hope that this can bring more people into
citizen science, open data and OSM.

As mentioned previously, I also have plans to use OLM to improve OSM.

Every time a photo is uploaded to OpenLitterMap, we use the coordinates of
the geotagged image to request the OSM address at that location. If
"Ireland" or "County Cork" or "Cork City" does not exist on OLM, OLM will
use these keys to populate its list of locations dynamically which you can
see at openlittermap.com/world. When you download OLM data, the full OSM
address is included with each photo. I hope that we can use this to find a
way to improve the addresses on OSM.

Recently, I launched OLM v2.0 which now includes a new landing page and
loads all data into the global map <http://openlittermap.com/global>.

If you are interested in what else is going on, I also launched a GoFundMe
yesterday, which includes our first promotional video and a new demo
showing how to use our app. If you would like to take a look there is a
link here
<https://www.gofundme.com/f/openlittermap-a-revolutionary-app-to-map-litter>.
A share on social media would be appreciated.

Finally-

Last year, Denmark became the first country in the world to do a national
survey of plastic pollution, powered by 56,000 students
<https://www.nature.com/articles/s41598-020-74768-5>. The reason I am
launching all of this now is to get ready for a new campaign next spring,
as I would like OLM to become the platform that students around the world
use to compete with each other to see who can produce the most open data.

If this sounds like something you or someone you know might be interested
in, we are actively looking for contributors and we would love to see you
on our slack channel
<https://join.slack.com/t/openlittermap/shared_invite/zt-fdctasud-mu~OBQKReRdC9Ai9KgGROw>
or
weekly zoom calls (every Thursday, 6pm Irish time).

A lot of the work that I do has been inspired by OSM and OSMF and although
I don't actively contribute, (I have been a paying member for a few years)
I would like to say thanks for all the great & inspirational work which has
been instrumental in bringing OLM to this stage.

Some in OSMF have expressed concerns with the licensing and trademark, and
as a reminder I wrote to the trademark group on first request of being
notified about this over 3 years ago and never got a reply.

Anyway, I hope this move towards open source is something some OSMF members
can appreciate.

Thanks!

Seán

--
https://openlittermap.com @OpenLitterMap (Fb, Tw, Ig)
M.Sc. Coastal & Marine Environments (NUIG, 2015)