[Osmf-talk] Sustainable Travel Expenses Resolution – Request for Support

Paul Norman penorman at mac.com
Mon Oct 26 18:01:55 UTC 2020

On 2020-10-26 3:13 a.m., Michael Reichert wrote:
> The aim of this resolution is to avoid spending Foundation money for
> travelling with a large carbon dioxide footprint if reasonable
> alternatives exist.

I prefer non-flight options when practical, but this would have an
impact on the OSMF's carbon footprint of about 1%, and I can't support this.

The annual power + cooling carbon footprint of OSMF-owned hardware is
probably in the 30-70 ton region. The type of flight that would fall
under this would be about 40-80 kg of CO2 each way.

In 2018 I was in Amsterdam on OSMF business on the way to SOTM. Adding 6
hours would have cut short the time in Amsterdam by a day and we'd have
had to pay remote hands to complete the work, costing over €1000.