[Osmf-talk] Conflict of interest rules for WGs

Craig Allan allan at iafrica.com
Fri Sep 18 19:17:22 UTC 2020

Responding to Tobias,

In the interests of good governance I do support each WG adopting
consistent Conflict of Interest (COI) rules. We could provide a template
to assist in this process.

Some comments on the Board rules and DWG rules follow:

I don't like the DWG putting in an external hyperlink to third-party
rules that we do not control.  I'd prefer our own good definitions to be
directly incorporated into the definitions section.  The Board rules
already define COI pretty well and do mention family members without
defining them.

The DWG rules refer to a "case" that someone is involved in. OSM is not
a legal firm. A COI will normally only arise if the group is making a
decision that materially affects the interest of one or more parties.
Can we refer throughout to "decision" instead of "case".  The Board
rules refer to a "COI situation", which is IMHO a bit vague.

I would tidy up the DWG wording and make the four bulleted points more
explicit by adding in all the implied words and leaving out the hyperlink.

If we align with the Board rules, then the DWG rules should say that a
conflicted member must declare a possible conflict to the group. The
group should then vote on the significance of the declared possible
conflict and decide if the COI is material (or not).  If the COI is
material to the decision, the member can be silenced or in serious
cases, fully excluded (recused).  Whatever the outcome, the declaration
and WG decision should always be minuted.

Note that the conflict of interest hyperlink in the DWG rules doesn't
jump to the relevant paragraph. Its section 182 if you're interested.
In any event, Section 182 does not define what a conflict of interest
is. It defines other stuff. That's a big gap.  We do need to define a
COI properly in WG rules, or point an internal link to our existing
internal definition in the Board rules.

And a suggestion for the DWG - under International disputes, the
citizenship of a DWG member and their family members, not only their
place of residence, should trigger a possible COI.

HTH

Craig Allan
OSM: cRaIgalLAn