[Osmf-talk] Seeking input on the personnel committee

Tobias Knerr osm at tobias-knerr.de
Sun Sep 27 14:57:59 UTC 2020

Hello Craig,

thanks for the feedback so far! You certainly have a point on the
terminology.

On 25.09.20 16:15, Craig Allan wrote:
> 3. Role of the Manager (Task List)

On this, I'd like to dampen the expectations a bit, though. Some items
on the list do fit with what we might go for, but taken as a whole, the
list implies a far more intensive management role than I personally
would envision.

Per our hiring framework, we expect people working for us to be able to
produce results without close supervision, and to communicate openly
with the community and working groups, which is one reason why we try to
recruit from those who have previously contributed in a similar role as
volunteers.

Given such a background, a worker shouldn't need much on-boarding and
should be familiar with a mode of collaboration that does not route
requests or feedback through a manager. Also note that we're focusing on
working with contractors for most tasks, which is a relationship that
implies some self-reliance when it comes to topics such as skill
upgrades and career planning.

Yours,
Tobias