[Osmf-talk] Microgrants conflict of interest: an apology

Rory McCann rory at technomancy.org
Tue Feb 2 15:24:05 UTC 2021

On Tue, 02 Feb 2021 15:44, Simon Poole <simon at poole.ch> wrote:
> Well better late than never, but naturally the damage has already been
> done given that it wasn't exactly secret that grants had gone to groups
> with close ties to the board.

Huh? how do you mean “close ties”? OSM is small in some ways. It wasn't obvious to me at the time of the vote that there were CoI issues.

> The amazing thing though, is not that there are people seeking grants
> which would cause CoIs with board members, but that such requests were,
> and continue to be, permitted applications. They should have never been,
> I will share the blame in not noticing that appropriate rules were
> missing way back, allowed in the first place.

We're going to require that applicants do the work of telling us of potentional CoIs with the board so we don't have to do the work.

Surely if full CoI rules were followed it shouldn't matter if someone close applies, because no-one close will vote. right? In theory it would be the same as if the relevant board member wasn't on the board.