[Osmf-talk] Possible Fedi/Masto usage | Re: The use of Free and Open Source Software in the OpenStreetMap Foundation - FOSS...

Kathleen Lu kathleen.lu at mapbox.com
Tue Feb 2 22:56:00 UTC 2021

> On the other hand fedeverse people are going to have heavy representation of extreme
> open source/privacy people, who are going to be far more likely to be interested in
> OSM and far more likely to become involved in OSM
>
> So reaching out to this group of people is likely going to be more useful.

Mateusz, what's your basis for making these statements? There seem to
be a lot of assumptions here: 1) That there are more extreme open
source/privacy people on fediverse than on Twitter, 2) that extreme
open source/privacy people are more likely to be interested in OSM, 3)
that extreme open source/privacy people are more likely to become
involved in OSM if OSM is on fediverse, and 4) that increasing the
involvement of extreme open source/privacy people who are on fediverse
but not on Twitter in OSM is more useful to OSM than reaching out to
people of similar interests on Twitter.

For the record, I'm an open source and privacy attorney, I'm not on
Mastadon, and I know very few people who have tried it, much less
stuck to it. On a related note, fediverse has less than 1% the number
of active users as Twitter, so in comparison, I *would* call that a
tiny thing.

-Kathleen