[Osmf-talk] Possible Fedi/Masto usage | Re: The use of Free and Open Source Software in the OpenStreetMap Foundation - FOSS...

Mikel Maron mikel.maron at gmail.com
Wed Feb 3 00:53:28 UTC 2021

> Personally, I would suggest using Twitter as the current “source” of content, to then be published to Masto.

Great, glad we agree. The FOSS report was recommending the opposite direction, but I don't see it justified.

Rory, are you going to set up distribution from Twitter to Mastodon for @openstreetmap?

-Mikel

* Mikel Maron * +14152835207 @mikel s:mikelmaron

On Tuesday, February 2, 2021, 05:36:09 PM EST, Rory McCann <rory at technomancy.org> wrote:

On Tue, 02 Feb 2021 22:44, Mikel Maron <mikel.maron at gmail.com> wrote:
> First, I think the all the conceptual and philosophical ideas are
> laudatory.

Hmmm... well I call content warnings, anti-harassment features, and a community that's much *MUCH* more friendly to marginalized communities, more than merely “conceptual and philosophical ideas”... 😜😜

BTW, some stats on Fediverse users would have about 1,500,000 users in the last 6 months < https://the-federation.info/ >. This isn't a tiny thing. 🙂

> .. we'd need to configure things on another somewhat random service to
> do so? In other words, to send a tweet now requires reliance and
> configuration on 3 services instead of 1?

I listed two options for a cross poster. You would only use one.

> So if something originates on Mastadon, I know it won't look identical
> .. but will it look off somehow on Twitter?

I don't think so. If you're just posting text & an image & link, which is basically twitter anyway, it should be fine.

> I guess my conclusion is that it makes sense to syndicate from Twitter
> to osm.town

Personally, I would suggest using Twitter as the current “source” of content, to then be published to Masto. Perhaps we can look at it later.

> and that's happening already as I understand.

No it is not:

> > Why are some @openstreetmap tweets missing
> > from https://en.osm.town/@openstreetmap?
>
> Because I was using a hacky script on my server that used a third party
> twitter RSS server that stopped working. 🙂 Probably because twitter
> doesn't like these things.

> But setting
> up in the other direction has drawbacks at this time. Of course it's up
> to the whole CWG to assess this.

As far as I can tell, the OSM twitter account doesn't interact with people on Twitter, being merely a publish-and-not-reply. If you switch it to post from Masto to Twitter, there would, I think, be basically no change in the OSM twitter activity from the context of Twitter users.

No-one's suggesting shutting down the OSM Twitter presence! That would be a terrible idea! 🙂