[Osmf-talk] Possible Fedi/Masto usage | Re: The use of Free and Open Source Software in the OpenStreetMap Foundation - FOSS...

Mostafa Ahangarha ahangarha at riseup.net
Wed Feb 3 07:41:22 UTC 2021

On 2/2/21 4:12 PM, Mikel Maron wrote:
> Hey Rory, for the benefit of everyone, I'm asking a few follow up questions here about Fediverse/Mastadon.
>
> As part of the CWG, we're considering this. The idea of ownership over posts, and easily posting to multiple channels are good, allowing people to read where they are (@openstreetmap has 74.5K followers on Twitter). My questions here are about the experience, reliability and dependencies.
>
> How do you set up syndication? Is that built into osm.town, or via another site?
>
> Does syndication automatically repost everything, or is another action needed? Why are some @openstreetmap tweets missing from https://en.osm.town/@openstreetmap?
>
> Do tweets posted by syndication from osm.town look identical as if posted directly in Twitter? Can you include photos?
>
> How do you @- someone on Twitter from osm.town? Retweet or reply to them?
>
> Is there a way to share an account on osm.town with a group of people, to spread out responsibility for posting?
>
> Thanks
> Mikel
>

> * Mikel Maron * +14152835207 @mikel s:mikelmaron
>

> On Friday, January 29, 2021, 01:17:40 PM EST, Rory McCann <rory at technomancy.org> wrote:
>

> For those who missed the meeting, one of the good recommendations was to use Fediverse instead of Twitter (e.g. using Mastodon), like the https://en.osm.town/ instance (which I set up & co-mod).
>
> In the last week or so, I've been in contact with the SotM recommending that the set up a crossposter so that the @sotm at en.osm.town account ( https://en.osm.town/@sotm ), and they seem ameniable, and I've also raised the topic on the Communication WG for @openstreetmap at en.osm.town ( https://en.osm.town/@openstreetmap ). So things might improve here! 🙂🙂
>
> BTW Publish (on your) Own Site, Syndicate Elsewhere (POSSE) is a useful term if you haven't heard of it before https://indieweb.org/POSSE
>
> On Fri, 29 Jan 2021 17:04, Felix Delattre via osmf-talk <osmf-talk at openstreetmap.org> wrote:
>> Dear all,
>>
>> The Free and Open Source Software (FOSS) Policy Special Committee of
>> the OpenStreetMap Foundation has been asked by the Board of Directors
>> to assess the degree to which Free and/or Open Source Software or
>> Services are being used within the OpenStreetMap Foundation (OSMF), the
>> board itself, the different working groups, and committees. Today we
>> presented the inventory we made in the committee to the board in its
>> monthly meeting, and now we want to share it with you as well.
>>
>> Diary post: https://www.openstreetmap.org/user/xamanu/diary/395615
>>    <https://www.openstreetmap.org/user/xamanu/diary/395615>PDF report:
>> https://wiki.osmfoundation.org/wiki/File:FOSS_policy_special_committee_-_Report_on_FOSS_use_in_OSMF_2021-01.pdf
>> Raw data sheets:
>> https://wiki.osmfoundation.org/wiki/File:FOSS_policy_special_committee_-_Report_inventory_data_2021-01.ods
> [...]

I have no issue if OSM posts on Mastodon and cross-post it on twitter.
That would serve your concern regarding delivering the content to people
where they are. It supports attaching photos as well. But if there be
some issue (like size bigger than twitter limitation) it might not post
it there.

But I don't like the opposite. Using moa.party, you can cross-post from
one to the other. For sure mentioning twitter account from mastodon
doesn't work as mention on twitter. But for retweet you can simply add
tweet's link at the end of Mastodon post.

Cross-posting from Mastodon to twitter would send the signal to people
to consider migration. They see more and more people using mastodon and
then eventually they would think about doing the same.