[Osmf-talk] OpenStreetMap Japan Local Chapter Application / OpenStreetMapJapanローカルチャプターアプリケーション

Satoshi IIDA nyampire at gmail.com
Mon Feb 15 13:39:23 UTC 2021

Hello members,

Thank you for your comments.
I'm Satoshi with OSMFJP hats on.

Kimura-san's explanation is correct.

> Why does OSMFJP have so few members?
It is true that OSMFJP has so few members.
We are using Twitter, FaceBook, Slack, etc. as our community channels apart
from the OSMFJP channel, and we focus on managing those channels.
It is possible that people feel that communication on those channels is
sufficient for their daily activities as OSM mappers.
The number of registered users of Slack is 322, and the number of
registered users of the Facebook group is 881.

We are aware of the need for further calls to action.

> How is the board elected & for how long?
As Kimura-san pointed out, the term of office for the board members is two
years, and the candidates are nominated (by self) from among the OSMFJP
regular members and elected by the members.
The current boards are as follows
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/OSMFJ/Election_to_Board/2020

Executive Director:
    * Hiroshi MIURA, Since 2010 (OSMFJP has been in existence since 2010)
Directors:
    * Kinya INOUE (Deputy Director), Since 2010
    * Satoshi IIDA (Deputy Director, me), Since 2014
    * Katsunori SAKANOSHITA, Since 2018
Auditor:
    * Kentaro HATTORI, Since 2014

> How many people have applied for membership & been rejected?
Currently 2 persons are pending and in process.
No rejected application.

The applications are 0-2 persons per year.

> Concerning the activities (called business) listed, there is "Research
and Development around OSM" which is not necessarily a classic OSM chapter
activity. What types of concrete activities can be concerned under this
name?
As explained by Kimura-san, the main types of concrete activities that can
be concerned under this name are academic research and contractual
activities with research institutions.
When OSMFJP was established in 2010, we had few tools and information
related to OSM, so we had in mind to support it.
Also, half of the board members (3 persons out of 5) at the time of
OSMFJP's establishment were academics, which may have had an impact.

In the past, the OSMFJ had been developed for tile servers, but there are
currently no activities related to this item.
We are also not conducting any joint research with companies or commercial
businesses.

Best Regards,

Satoshi IIDA
mail: nyampire at gmail.com