[Osmf-talk] Board decision on initial composition of the Software Dispute Resolution Panel

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Sun Jan 31 14:05:36 UTC 2021

Hi,

On 1/31/21 14:46, Christoph Hormann wrote:
>> No, of course these people are not “personnel” of OSMF. It's because
>> we were discussing the suitability of people for roles. Those people
>> were not there, and were not taking part in the meeting. It would be
>> bad form to talk about their strengths and weaknesses of named people
>> who weren't present to a public audience.

> So it is better to talk about people and their 'suitability' behind
> closed doors than in public?

In situations where I have been part of a group selecting candidates for
a job, being able to talk *about* them in addition to talking *with*
them has generally allowed the group making the decision to weigh a
wider range of factors and therefore, I believe, led to a better decision.

Of course someone outside the group would only see it the same way if
they trusted that the group were optimising for the right outcome, and
were competent enough. If you do not share the goals of the group making
the decision, or if you share the goals but think they're incompetent at
their job, then anything they do outside of the spotlight needs to be
viewed with suspicion.

Bye
Frederik