[Osmf-talk] Seeking feedback and interest in the OSMF Engineering Working Group

Christoph Hormann chris_hormann at gmx.de
Tue Jul 13 09:54:41 UTC 2021

On Tuesday 13 July 2021, Mateusz Konieczny via osmf-talk wrote:

> > Thank you for pointing this out. I'm one of the people who have
> > asked the board to mandate us rebuilding the EWG.
> >
> > We simply understood open everything as granted and
> > uncontroversial.
>
> I assumed the same, but see Microgrants where making decisions and
> reasoning for selecting specific projects turned out to be secret.
>
> I would prefer to state explicitly that decision making process for
> funding will be public, despite that it has some negative
> consequences (easier to nitpick decisions taken).

It is probably worth adding that the whole gestation process for the EWG
restart has so far been highly intransparent.  There is (to my
knowledge) no public edit history of the proposed charter of the group
or minutes of the meetings where this has been discussed.  We know of
the fact that there has apparently been a meeting and who was present
in that only through indirect references in the board meeting minutes.

There is no legal or moral basis for OSMF members to request anything in
terms of transparency from people contemplating and discussing the
formation of a working group before they have actually started it of
course.  But the credibility of them in the promise of openness in the
future is obviously affected by past actions.

--
Christoph Hormann
https://www.imagico.de/