[Osmf-talk] Seeking feedback and interest in the OSMF Engineering Working Group

Mateusz Konieczny matkoniecz at tutanota.com
Thu Jul 15 17:47:06 UTC 2021

Jul 15, 2021, 15:58 by gravitystorm at gmail.com:

> On Wed, 14 Jul 2021 at 18:55, Michal Migurski <mike at teczno.com> wrote:
>

>> The bars in blue are composed solely of commits from core committers and a handful of bots vs. PRs in green with any other participants included. We see that community PRs are accepted approximately half the time, while owner-only PRs are merged almost always. We also see a long-standing pattern of community changes taking multiple weeks to merge.
>>

> I find these results deeply unsurprising. You've highlighted that PRs
> from bots (i.e. dependabot) are quick and easy to merge. What else
> would you expect here? You've also highlighted that PRs made by
> maintainers are usually merged quickly. So again, is it really
> surprising that maintainers are good at writing PRs that pass the
> tests, are easy to review, and likely to be merged without need for
> changes? Isn't that likely to be one of the abilities expected of a
> maintainer?

I would add that situation where there are people who consistently
make high quality PRs and are not becoming maintainers would be a bit weird.

So nonmaintainers PRs are very likely to be of lower quality and/or get
abandoned and so on - as people making high quality PRs are typically
becoming maintainers.

As result both groups are self selecting, and such differences are to be expected.

To have results worth looking at it would be necessary to at least attempt to
compare with other projects of a similar size/complexity.

Or maybe all projects across Github?

Either way existence of difference is fully expected and it by itself proves exactly nothing.

Maybe it would be better to look how long PRs wait for maintainers? Though manual review
would be needed here.

>> My conclusion from these graphs is that OSM’s software is not encouraging a healthy level of community involvement.
>>

> That's a heck of a conclusion to make from two poorly constructed charts.

I would also add that - if I understood right - analysed repos were under
https://github.com/openstreetmap and results got extended it to "OSM’s software"

Even if something applies to https://github.com/openstreetmap repos
it does not necessarily apply to JOSM, https://github.com/facebookincubator/RapiD/
and other OSM's software.

> I put in a ton of effort, week in and week out, year after year to
> make it easier to contribute

Thanks for that!