[Osmf-talk] Seeking feedback and interest in the OSMF Engineering Working Group

Michal Migurski mike at teczno.com
Thu Jul 15 22:27:23 UTC 2021

Hey Andy, thanks for your response!

I know that this conversation touches on your extensive contributions to OSM’s infrastructure and code over the years, and I am not intending to criticize your work. My intent is to stick very close to the original topic: feedback on Mikel’s EWG proposal. It is missing a plan for measuring its own success so I’m looking toward our existing track record in critical OSM repositories.

You’re right that it’s normal for a software project to have more and faster contributions from its own maintainers. Mateusz also says this in his response to the thread:

> I would add that situation where there are people who consistently make high quality PRs and are not becoming maintainers would be a bit weird. So nonmaintainers PRs are very likely to be of lower quality and/or get abandoned and so on - as people making high quality PRs are typically becoming maintainers. As result both groups are self selecting, and such differences are to be expected.

Our software projects so far have not gained contributors and maintainers over time, and in fact the opposite has happened. iD no longer has Bryan or Quincy contributing to its development. The team behind the API & website has been reduced to you and Tom for many years. We are lucky to have had dedicated and skilled people like yourself, but the board has not chosen to prioritize or support a conducive environment for growing the community of engineers. This story has been consistent over the past five years and should be cause for alarm for the majority of community members who prioritized stability in the recent survey.

The current EWG proposal seeks to address the gap. My analysis and personal experience both point toward a measurable goal for the EWG of increasing diverse contributions to OSM software projects. I’m also making the raw data for my earlier charts available here for anyone interested in core repo contribution patterns: https://athena-osm-checks.s3.amazonaws.com/osm-website-git/data/ds=2021-07-01/PR-data.txt

My intent here is not to critique the excellent work that you’ve done as a maintainer of the API & website throughout OSM’s history, and I’m grateful that you’ve helped guide a few of my PRs to acceptance. Instead I am proposing a way for the board to set a goal for the EWG using readily-available public data. We’ll know the working group is successful when we see a movement in the contribution and maintenance patterns on core repos.

-mike.

sf/ca            http://mike.teczno.com/contact.html