[Osmf-talk] Made with OpenStreetMap

Tobias Knerr osm at tobias-knerr.de
Sun Nov 21 10:33:25 UTC 2021

On 13.11.21 12:54, Heikki Vesanto wrote:
> I think OpenStreetMap should have something similar on the copyright
> page. A logo that says "Made with OpenStreetMap", and also includes the
> required attribution verbiage. Might help make attribution something to
> be proud of as well, instead of an afterthought.

I like this idea a lot!

It's often said that one of the main benefits of attribution is to
increase the visibility of our project and maybe even attract new
contributors. But the legally required attribution isn't really designed
for that. I suspect most map users habitually ignore the commonplace
legal text in the corners of maps. (And of course, even if someone
clicks on the OpenStreetMap link, they end up on osm.org/copyright,
which is not a great landing page for people new to OSM.)

An attractive logo that proudly advertises the origin of the data would
be much more likely to get positive attention. So it would be great to
offer templates that make it easy for users of OSM data to include such
a logo.