[Osmf-talk] Google Open Buildings now licensed ODbL

Mikel Maron mikel.maron at gmail.com
Thu Sep 16 19:48:07 UTC 2021

Thanks, good point -- actually already working on that update with them

* Mikel Maron * +14152835207 @mikel s:mikelmaron

On Thursday, September 16, 2021, 03:35:43 PM EDT, Michael Reichert <osm-ml at michreichert.de> wrote:

Hi,

Am 16.09.21 um 18:22 schrieb Mikel Maron:
> https://sites.research.google/open-buildings/#faq
>
> OSM can now use this data set. Very interesting change to see G support OSM directly.

Licensing it under ODbL is not sufficient to be useable for mapping.
ODbL contains a attribution requirement which is not met by the
attribution we require from our data users. As long as Google does not
state something like "Adding us to wiki.osm.org/wiki/Contributors
fulfills our attribution requirement", its data will be as useful as
many open datasets by German authorities.

Best regards

Michael