[osmosis-dev] OSMembrane - GUI front-end for Osmosis

Brett Henderson brett at bretth.com
Wed Mar 23 09:23:01 GMT 2011

Hi Igor,

On Mon, Mar 7, 2011 at 5:09 AM, Igor Podolskiy <
igor.podolskiy at vwi-stuttgart.de> wrote:

> Hi Brett, hi Osmosis developers,
>

>  I just finished having a play with OSMembrane.  Colour me impressed :-)
>> It's a great little app, and provides a nicely polished user experience.
>>
> thanks - it's great you like it :)
>

>  I hope development on the tool remains active, or that it at least
>> continues to be maintained.  It should be a great complement to Osmosis.
>>
> Yes, at least we will try to - it's not like there aren't any ideas to
> further improve OSMembrane. There are probably enough features to implement
> and bugs to fix for months if not years ;)
>
> A couple of days ago I discussed the future of this project with Jakob,
> Tobias and Christian - the original authors - and we decided that we will
> gradually transfer the maintainer role for OSMembrane over to me in the next
> weeks as I seem to have more time and resources for this and, most
> importantly, I need this tool much more than them ;) And as none of us wants
> OSMembrane go to sleep, this seemed the obvious thing to do.

Sounds great.

> Development mainly takes place at http://osmembrane.de/ currently. In the
> last couple days I've been working on boring infrastructure-like things like
> the Ant build file, but I'm almost done, and I look forward to "real work"
> on it - fixing bugs and implementing features, that is.
>
> So - yes, OSMembrane is not dead, is not planning to be dead, stay tuned
> for new releases. Bug reports, feature suggestions, patches and any kind of
> feedback is very welcome.
>
> Since we are on osmosis-dev here: one of the improvements I thought of in
> the middle term would be integrating OSMembrane a little tighter with
> Osmosis, for example using Osmosis as a library instead of just generating
> command lines and reflecting over the classes to determine the list of
> available tasks. However, as far as I can estimate, this might require some
> work on Osmosis itself, too, so it needs a little more thought.
>
> So now the question is quite generic: what do you think of the general idea
> - is it worth it? Or is there some kind of requirement which opposes such an
> integration that I am unaware of?

I don't have any objection in principle.  Although obviously I'd need to
know what kind of changes you need to make ;-)

I have tried to make Osmosis suitable for use as a library though so I'm
hoping there won't be any major issues.

Cheers,
Brett