[OSRM-talk] Project-OSRM: In need of advice; can offer some commercial support to you/ your projects in return

Sander Deryckere sanderd17 at gmail.com
Tue Nov 24 14:51:03 UTC 2015

Hi,

I'm writing this as an OSM mapper and user of the OSRM api, I'm not an OSRM
dev, so I might make some mistakes here.

> My name is Bjorn, and I'm the director at a commercial project that needs
> something like the Open Source Routing Machine with Openstreet Map where
> you both appear rather active. You can find a little bit about me on
> linkedin <https://uk.linkedin.com/in/bmadsen> and Multi-Agent Technology
> <http://www.multiagenttechnology.com/> London.
>
> *Question*: The most pressing question I have is whether OSRM is suitable
> for truck/lorry routing in its current state?

The passability and driving speed of road types is determined by lua
scripts (see
https://github.com/Project-OSRM/osrm-backend/blob/develop/profiles/car.lua
for the example car script). So you can at least make one script per
vehicle type (split up your lorries in discrete types, and have a script
for every type).

Now, OSRM is suited, but I don't know if OSM data is suited. Lorry tagging
is something not many mappers do (not many mappers need maxweight or
maxlength properties of a way), so data may be sparse. But this depends a
lot on the region you're operating in. It's generally known that Europe has
better coverage than North America, but even in Europe such tagging will
depend a lot on the region you're in.

> I have no need to visualize the map data. Only calculation of the path,
> length and duration of the route for heavy goods vehicles for planning
> purposes. This means that I need to check for constraints such as weight,
> low bridges and width-limitations along the path.
>
> If queries are as quick as on the demo-server for the osrm-project, then
> time is on our side. In my lack insight, I imagine that this can be done in
> iterations, where first a path is chosen for cars, which subsequently is
> inspected for these constraints. If constraints are detected, alternatives
> will need to by discovered. I'm sure you have better ideas?
>
> The demo server is what it is, a demo. If you want truck routing, you'll
have to install your own server with your own profiles.

> I'm also on Google hangout (using this email) if you'd prefer to talk
> instead of writing longer emails.
>
> Thanks again for getting back to me.

As for the return service you propose, if you use the data for truckers, it
would be great if you could get those truckers to help contribute data to
the database. In contrast to the average mapper, they will care about
maxweight and maxlength properties, and will want to correct those where
wrong. In turn, this also makes your data and your routes better.

It can be achieved by giving the truckers a training on how to add that
data to OSM, or give them some option to add notes to OSM (in which case
these notes will have to be interpreted by regular mappers, and mapped).

Regards,
Sander