[OSRM-talk] State of the Art - Dynamic Routing

Matthias Loeks matthias at loeks.net
Wed Oct 14 10:18:48 UTC 2015

HI Patrick,

many thanks for your extensive answer and your interesting insights into
the possibilities of achieving dynamic routing with CH.

While partial graph contraction may be an option for adding traffic data
e.g. every 15 minutes, I'm afraid that it is still not an option if each
individual request has to deal with e.g. different avoid areas.
Each request would then need a differently contracted/pre-processed
graph... (impossible to pre-process on the fly)

Do you think there is any possibility to add some sort of "dynamic
layer" on top of the contracted graph? Based on the information in this
layer, certain edges in the contracted graph should have to be ignored
by the routing algorithm.
Is such a thing possible and are there any plans to incorporate this (or
similar concepts) into OSRM? Or is this just contrary to the CH approach
and only solveable with a usual (slow) Dijkstra?

Thanks a lot for your help!

Cheers,
Matthias