[OSRM-talk] 'penalty' for snapping

Daniel Patterson daniel at mapbox.com
Tue Apr 19 20:44:40 UTC 2016

Hi Steve,

  I was thinking about exactly this just the other day when considering
https://github.com/Project-OSRM/osrm-backend/issues/2277

  What I came up with was roughly:

    Find N nearest neighbours, and calculate the walking duration to each
    Insert all neighbours into the search heap, and set the initial cost to
the walk duration
    Route as normal, but include the walk duration in the total time at the
end

  The question is, how big do we make N, and how do we determine the
overland speed?  Overland speed I suppose could be a profile parameter, and
it feels like walking speed would usually be the most appropriate thing.
But I'm not sure how many possible start points we should reasonably
consider.  Everything within a radius?  Closest N points?

daniel