[OSRM-talk] viaroute vs. route

Giovanni Resta g.resta at iit.cnr.it
Thu Aug 18 13:51:26 UTC 2016

Hi all.
I'm new to OSRM (I installed it just today on my Debian machine).

I would like to understand why I obtain two very different outputs
calling the server.

In particular, consider this invocation (using viaroute)

http://router.project-osrm.org/viaroute?loc=44.103861,9.805035&loc=43.717907,10.398189

Then consider the query with the same coordinates:
(I obtain exactly the same results locally on my machine):

http://router.project-osrm.org/route/v1/driving/9.805035,44.103861;10.398189,43.717907

The first output is much longer and detailed than the second, but
what makes me wonder is that the first one has:

"total_distance":79944,"total_time":3432, while the second has:

"duration":5169.4,"distance":74850.5

There is a large discrepancy, especially in the time. Why?
Am I doing something wrong with the syntax of "route/v1/driving" ?

Thanks,
Giovanni