[OSRM-talk] About Indoor Routing

Daniel Patterson daniel at mapbox.com
Tue Feb 16 06:35:31 UTC 2016

Hi C.C.Tang,

  You will almost certainly need to modify the foot.lua profile.  I have not really looked at the indoor tagging before, but it seems like there are lots of tags that will be used that the current foot profile does not know about.

  For (1), I mean that there is no support for indoor-specific words in the instructions returned in the "viaroute" response.  It knows about things like "turn left on X street", but it does not know about indoor instructions like "take the third door on your left", or "take the elevator to the 3rd floor".

  For (2), you are correct - the current nearest-neighbor match is 2D only, it does not know about elevation.  Support for this would need to be added if you wanted to match to certain levels.

  In addition, routing on OSM areas is currently limited to routing around the edges - see https://github.com/Project-OSRM/osrm-backend/issues/64 <https://github.com/Project-OSRM/osrm-backend/issues/64>

  Overall, I'm sure you can make it work, but I think OSRM is currently missing a few important features for it to work really well.

daniel