[OSRM-talk] Distance Matrix like current "table" - commission

Daniel Patterson daniel at mapbox.com
Tue Jan 5 04:01:01 UTC 2016

Alan,

  Fundamentally, OSRM calculates fastest time routing, not shortest
distance.

  There are a couple of ways to approach a distance-based table:

  1) return the corresponding distances for the fastest routes currently
returned. Depending on road speeds, the distances may not be the shortest.
This would require code changes.

  2) route based on distance.  You can do this right now, after a fashion.
If you set all roads to the same speed, you'll get route results that are
shortest distance equivalent, and the table will contain values that are
distance equivalent.  Just modify they car and set all road speeds to
3.6km/h and all turn penalties to 0.  You'll also want to remove the 0.8
scaling factor.  If you do this right, values in the table should be in
metres.

I doubt we'd ever support both shortest distance and fastest time inn the
same profile.

daniel