[OSRM-talk] IDE Setup

Daniel Hofmann hofmann at mapbox.com
Mon Jan 11 09:31:06 UTC 2016

You just reached the sad state of good C++ tooling.
I think the most popular choice around here is neovim / vim potentially
with plugins like YouCompleteMe, clang-format, and so on.
If you really have to use an IDE I would give JetBrains' CLion a try or
just use QtCreator.

We found that tooling is difficult in practice in cases like osrm-backend's
templates that often have a templated DataFacadeT type.
There is no possible way for tools to help you e.g. with autocomplete if
the type is not yet specified.

Here are a few tricks that should make development easier, despite of
having no ide:

- install ccache: cmake will automatically pick it up; immensely speeds up
incremental builds
- use ninja by means of cmake -G Ninja as a make replacement; speeds up
incremental builds
- use inotifytools: recursively watch modify events for *.cc *.h,
automatically triggering a build as soon as you save a file
- use clang for faster compile and link times: requires you to also build
all dependencies locally with clang first

Cheers,
Daniel