[OSRM-talk] Snapping preferences

Daniel Patterson daniel at mapbox.com
Fri May 4 16:36:04 UTC 2018

Hi François,

  Currently, no - snapping for coordinates is strictly whichever is nearest
(with one exception:
https://blog.mapbox.com/robust-navigation-with-smart-nearest-neighbor-search-dbc1f6218be8
).

  I can think of two things:

    1.  Try using the `/match` API.  This API snaps to *many* nearest
points (usually within 15m), and tries routes between all combinations, and
returns the most likely.  As long as your coordinates are reasonably close
(<2km), it should be almost usable as a replacement for the `/route` API.

    2.  You can use the `/nearest` API to return more than one possible
snap point within range, then pick one, then request `/route` with the
snapped coordinates you have chosen.  This is only viable if `/nearest`
returns enough information for you to decide which snapping point is best.

daniel