[OSRM-talk] pont de Québec not in the routing steps of OSRM

Daniel Patterson daniel at mapbox.com
Tue Nov 3 00:37:00 UTC 2020

The "steps" that OSRM emits are roughly intended to be human consumable
instructions.  We often collapse "obvious" maneuvers where it'd be annoying
to receive a visual/verbal prompt.  For this reason, "steps" aren't great
objects to use for data analysis, unless you're specifically interested in
the heuristics of ideal navigation instructions.

The alternative I'd suggest would be to find a couple of OSM node IDs that
are on the way you're interested in, and use the `annotations=nodes`
parameter to return the list of nodes along the path - search that list for
your well-known-nodes and you should have confirmation that a path
traversed the geometry you care about.

daniel