[OSRM-talk] Allowing trunk roads for foot and bicycle directions in the British Isles.

ika-chan! mapper+dev at minoa.li
Sat Apr 24 20:13:01 UTC 2021

Hello,

Last week, VictorIE and I came into conflict about the use of
"access=yes" on trunk roads ("highway=trunk" and "highway=trunk_link")
in the Republic of Ireland
(https://www.openstreetmap.org/changeset/93624048).

In the Republic of Ireland, Greece, and the United Kingdom, trunk roads
are all-purpose roads that all users can legally use, unless
specifically prohibited (with the use of the tags "motorroad=yes" or
"foot=no", etc.): in Greece, "highway=trunk" means an all-purpose
National Road on an E-Road network
(https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Greece#Highways_in_Greece).

VictorIE believes that it is currently necessary to use "access=yes" on
trunk roads, because your router does not allow pedestrian and bicycle
journeys to use trunk roads, even though it is legal to do so
(https://www.openstreetmap.org/directions?engine=fossgis_osrm_foot&route=51.98803%2C-7.74369%3B51.98943%2C-7.74110).
My belief is that using "access=yes" on trunk roads in IE, GR and GB is
redundant, and my belief appears to be backed by Osmose
(http://osmose.openstreetmap.fr/en/map/#zoom=12&lat=53.2952&lon=-6.4592&item=3220&level=1%2C2%2C3).

Therefore, I have to write to ask you if you can find a way to update
the router so that pedestrian and bicycle journeys can use trunk roads
in Republic of Ireland, Greece and the United Kingdom. If OSRM can
already recognise left- and right-hand traffic, I do not think that the
updates will be too hard.

Best,

-- ika-chan!