Hello list and can I help?!

Andy Allan gravitystorm at gmail.com
Thu Nov 10 16:35:31 GMT 2011

On 8 November 2011 23:45, Maximilian Schulz <m.schulz at kulturfluss.de> wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I just wanna say hello and check with you guys if there is some work
> on the rails front end where you could need some help. While browsing
> the site I saw some things which (I think) could need some work. And
> so I wanna check if I could be of assistance.

Great, we're always looking for development help.

> So before doing stuff which wont have a
> chance of being used, I first want to check with you guys.

Great. Tom Hughes (TomH) is the maintainer so has the final say on
things, so if he jumps in an disagrees, listen to him rather than me!

> As I am not yet that familiar with the code base, I would love to try
> some easy stuff first. I thought the diaries and private messages
> could need some love. I guess some styling and padding would be a good
> first step to learn about the views, controllers and routing. What do
> you think about that? Or is there already something in the pipeline?

It's always worth improving the non-core parts of the site - my
standard advice to people is to find things like this that needs
improving, but to stay clear of any of the API calls until you are
more familiar. If you have any big changes planned it's worth
discussing, otherwise get coding and ask for patches to be
reviewed/merged.

> And from what I have read, there is a rails3 branch. I have not yet
> checked that, but should I base my work on that or should I start
> working with the rails 2.3.* branch?

I'd suggest working from the rails3 branch. I don't think there's much
different in the areas that you are looking at, but it's got the
long-term potential that the rails2 codebase no longer has.

Good luck, and if you have any questions feel free to ask.

Cheers,
Andy