[openstreetmap-website] Zoom Control (#65)

Tom Davie notifications at github.com
Thu Aug 9 14:50:01 BST 2012

> I remember that! Because it was me.

Excellent, it was a big improvement!

> Neither does the zoom control.. it's white. Are you talking about the 2px by 20px (40 pixels!) 'significant' block of dark grey for the handle?

It is, when said style is not used anywhere else on the entire site.

I did not mean to start a flame war here, nor attempt to say that you're not doing valuable work.  Instead, simply point out that the recent alteration is in fact a design regression (at least in my views).

Your arguments re "there are better things to be doing" amount to much the same as people caught speeding telling the police "don't you have murderers to catch"... Sure, there are bigger jobs to do, but that doesn't stop this job being a valid one.

I also regard this as being a particularly important one, as the look of the site when a new user first visits it is what makes them stay, and potentially make contributions, or leave because they immediately think "wow, this is as unproffessional and unstylish as the rest of the open source world".

As an aside – I haven't actually seen you make a comment about which design you consider better, and for what reasons.  Do you have particular reasons to dislike my alternative design?  Do you have particular features you like in your new design and would like to see carried over?  I appreciate that putting work into something and having someone say "I don't like it" can be disheartening, but it's not a valid reason to discard an alternative they put forth out of hand.

https://github.com/openstreetmap/openstreetmap-website/issues/65#issuecomment-7614465