[openstreetmap-website] Added RDFa support for browse/node (#173)

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Sun Dec 2 19:42:59 GMT 2012

Hi,

On 02.12.2012 13:08, Tom Morris wrote:
> Well, the main benefit I see RDFa implementation providing is being able
> to link OpenStreetMap data together with other published online datasets
> like dbpedia <http://dbpedia.org>. Being able to explicitly declare
> equivalencies (e.g. that the river Thames
> <http://www.openstreetmap.org/browse/way/8125890> is the same as the
> river Thames <http://dbpedia.org/resource/River_Thames>).

In that case, using OSM object IDs is not the right approach as they are
not stable.

"Stable IDs" is a discussion we've been having for years, and Roland
Olbricht has implemented something like that in Overpass (see
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Overpass_API/Permanent_ID).

Simply slapping RDF on top of our database and thereby declaring our
existing IDs permanent doesn't cut it.
http://www.openstreetmap.org/browse/way/8125890 could be the River
Thames today, and a nearby house tomorrow. It would be foolish to link
to objects from the outside by their ID; a software solution like
Roland's is required to make this work reliably.

Bye
Frederik