[openstreetmap-website] Added RDFa support for browse/node (#173)

Jeff Meyer notifications at github.com
Sun Dec 2 19:27:15 GMT 2012

Tom - it seems like the long-heralded semantic web might finally be
approaching. I think this sort of tie between OSM & RDF is a big deal &
could be very helpful. I'm working on historical applications of the OSM
infrastructure, part of which involves turning old maps into
semantically-based modern-style Internet maps (mapnik for the 1880s) &
making sure we're following some properly ontologies (blah blah blah) is a
primary design consideration. So, there will probably be at least 1 user of
this capability... - Jeff

On Sun, Dec 2, 2012 at 4:08 AM, Tom Morris <notifications at github.com> wrote:

> Well, the main benefit I see RDFa implementation providing is being able
> to link OpenStreetMap data together with other published online datasets
> like dbpedia <http://dbpedia.org>. Being able to explicitly declare
> equivalencies (e.g. that the river Thames<http://www.openstreetmap.org/browse/way/8125890>is the same as the river
> Thames <http://dbpedia.org/resource/River_Thames>).
>
> The key benefit that adding both microformats and RDF brings is that it
> allows reuse of basic metadata without having to learn how to use the API.
> Sites like BBC Wildlife Finder<http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/bbcinternet/2009/09/wildlife_finder_david_attenbor.html>show the possibilities that flow from simple merging of linked data.
>
> Regarding microdata, both can be used simultaneously. It was added
> unilaterally by the editor of the HTML5 specification because he decided
> that RDFa was too complicated. It provides a fairly limited subset of what
> RDFa provides. The main use of microdata has been by Schema.org, and they
> allow both microdata and RDFa. RDFa was in fairly wide use on the web
> before the introduction of microdata.
>
> Regarding the use of prefix, yes, that is correct: prefix is preferable
> to xmlns. I'll fix that.

Jeff Meyer
Global World History Atlas
www.gwhat.org