[openstreetmap-website] Changeset view (#20)

Tom MacWright tom at macwright.org
Mon Feb 27 14:30:04 GMT 2012

Okay, I'm a bit blocked from doing testing with large changesets that break
the map, since I have a limited extract of the database around.

I get that the other information is important, but it's important to
advanced users, and people who don't immediately grasp what a 'node' is are
blindsided by technical information - and presenting a map with the thing
highlighted makes it clearer. Hopefully we can please both camps.

I've experimented with more literate approaches to representing this
information, and have that implemented in the changeset view -
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/68059/Screenshots/k.png . Doing the same for node
views - which share code with node history views - is a bit more difficult,
and the whole endeavor is not easy to reconcile with translatable strings.
So I think this is an incremental improvement that can have further pushes.

That's also the main reason why the 'current version' text is how it is -
this page shares a partial with the history view. This might be resolvable
- I'll take a look and anyone else who wants to hack on this, you can grab
the changeset_view branch and jfdi.

Tom