[openstreetmap-website] User page (#23)

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Sat Mar 10 15:32:16 GMT 2012

Hi,

On 03/10/2012 04:13 PM, Tom Hughes wrote:
> Before I start doing a technical review of this, what do people think of
> the general design of it and the direction it's going in?

I don't really have a plus or minus opinion on it.

I just want to offer one thought, and that's there being a fundamental
difference between your average commercial web portal landing page (be
that your facebook home page, your twitter stream, whatever page you
land at after login with myriad services) and OSM.

OSM doesn't need you to use the web page. Commercial sites often do, and
they try to make their web appearance addictive in many ways so that the
users logs in often (or ideally, doesn't ever log out) - that they stay
"connected" and available for messaging (usually, various kinds of
messages intended to make him spend money).

In my personal everyday OSM use, I don't normally have a web session at
all. I use the web page to inspect object details or to browse the map,
but I never log in unless I need to send someone a message who hasn't
sent me one before (I much prefer emailing people but that is currently
only possible if I can reply to a message from them - and I am HUGELY
glad that I can receive these messages in my email client and not just
in my OSM inbox). I do most of my edits in JOSM and I don't use the OSM
user blog, so there's really no reason for me to log in - and I'm happy
that way.

So, I would hope that whatever direction the re-shaping of the user
pages goes in OSM, thes pages will always remain an optional extra that
you can use if you want, rather than becoming a central spot that
everyone is expected to log in to every day.

Bye
Frederik