[openstreetmap-website] User page (#23)

Martijn van Exel m at rtijn.org
Sat Mar 10 18:22:48 GMT 2012

On Sat, Mar 10, 2012 at 9:32 AM, Frederik Ramm <frederik at remote.org> wrote:

> Hi,
>

> On 03/10/2012 04:13 PM, Tom Hughes wrote:
>
>> Before I start doing a technical review of this, what do people think of
>> the general design of it and the direction it's going in?
>>

> I don't really have a plus or minus opinion on it.
>
> I just want to offer one thought, and that's there being a fundamental
> difference between your average commercial web portal landing page (be that
> your facebook home page, your twitter stream, whatever page you land at
> after login with myriad services) and OSM.
>
> OSM doesn't need you to use the web page.[...]

Twitter doesn't either, but let's get that out of the way. I think Twitter
is actually an example of what we would want to work towards: a solid API
for all essential tasks, with some attractive optional extras on the web
site. In Twitter's case that is, for example, the Interactions page that
combines mentions, retweets and new followers in a convenient stream.

So, I would hope that whatever direction the re-shaping of the user pages
> goes in OSM, thes pages will always remain an optional extra that you can
> use if you want, rather than becoming a central spot that everyone is
> expected to log in to every day.

I don't think that with the current redesign efforts there's any risk of
OSM requiring users to log in to the web site to perform common tasks or
generally be 'in the loop'. If anything, I think this work will reduce
dependence on the web site to stay informed. The user stream, first version
of which is part of this commit, will be available as a feed in the future.
I think it's also worth discussing expanding the API to include more
'social' functions such as sending messages and getting nearby users. These
would be authenticated API calls, of course.

--
martijn van exel
geospatial omnivore