[openstreetmap-website] Filtering the output of the `map` API endpoint (#124)

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Thu Oct 11 23:52:37 GMT 2012

Hi,

On 12.10.2012 01:45, Richard Fairhurst wrote:
> Certainly Tom (H)'s point about the Mapzen POI Collector issue is a real
> one; essentially it fell down where a feature was present in the OSM
> database as a way outline, but wasn't rendered (either because of
> collisions or because it simply wasn't in the stylesheet). Since users
> didn't see it on the tile map display, they then proceeded to add a
> dupe. It's even more likely to be a problem these days because we have
> good aerial imagery, so people are increasingly mapping POIs as outlines.

BTW Wheelmap had the same issue and are now using a system where "pseudo
POIs" are generated on-the-fly for any POI polygon in the database - so
their editor only ever deals with point information, and on upload
decides whether it has to modify a node or way. Very specialized
solution though and perhaps not applicable to other areas. Might be
worth talking to them nonetheless. I built the core of the POI converter
for them but know only part of the picture; @christoph-buente would be
the guy to talk to about the whole picture.

Bye
Frederik