[openstreetmap-website] Filtering the output of the `map` API endpoint (#124)

Richard Fairhurst notifications at github.com
Thu Oct 11 23:45:29 GMT 2012

Certainly Tom (H)'s point about the Mapzen POI Collector issue is a real one; essentially it fell down where a feature was present in the OSM database as a way outline, but wasn't rendered (either because of collisions or because it simply wasn't in the stylesheet). Since users didn't see it on the tile map display, they then proceeded to add a dupe. It's even more likely to be a problem these days because we have good aerial imagery, so people are increasingly mapping POIs as outlines.

A proxy read-only API is the most interesting idea I've yet heard of solving this, whether running off minutely diffs or chained to the main db servers via some magic replication thingy which is way beyond my paygrade.

https://github.com/openstreetmap/openstreetmap-website/issues/124#issuecomment-9362284