[openstreetmap-website] User Changeset Feed Defaults to Last Editor If Specified User Doesn't Exist (#46)

Hugh Barnes notifications at github.com
Fri Oct 12 02:57:36 GMT 2012

> There's plenty of other places where the API gives inappropriate response codes

Well, let's not get started on HTTP in the 0.6 API. I assume the wiki (and not here) is still the best place to [debate this] (http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Talk:API_v0.6) and [plan for 0.7] (http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/API_v0.7) ?? (that's a question :)

And let's be clear that 404 is correct for now just because it aligns with the current 0.6 API.

> However, I think that when you make a valid request ("give me the feed, here's the username") for a resource that doesn't exist ("no feed found for the username you gave"), 404 Not Found is the correct response.

Sorry, being indulgent, but I do find the issue interesting. I think you mean you see the user as an intrinsic part of the resource, rather than just a parameter to the changeset result. I'm comfortable _enough_ with that interpretation, but I'd defer to anyone with examples based on usage in the wild. What works best for API users? I think I'd like a distinction between "that virtual path is nonexistent" and "a parameter value isn't working for me".

https://github.com/openstreetmap/openstreetmap-website/issues/46#issuecomment-9365244