[openstreetmap-website] Gravatar support (#131)

Paweł Paprota notifications at github.com
Fri Oct 12 13:12:53 GMT 2012

Thanks for the review.

Another radio button is OK, except that when a user does not have any image then there's no radio buttons on this screen at all in the Image section.

I guess the only sensible thing is to have to separate radio button groups: one for the choice between Gravatar and osm.org-hosted image and another one (the existing one) for the choice of hosted image actions (as can be seen on the screenshot above).

I would think that image_gravatar suggest that the file is of type avatar (as is the "image" field). But ultimately I don't care too much about the name.

As for the sizes - Gravatar can serve an image in any (square) size that is requested, I just wanted to align it with the current images.

Although on second thought... I think that most people have large images on Gravatar so why should we have those tiny (50x50, 100x100) thumbnails on osm.org - maybe something bigger, like Gihub has? See https://github.com/tomhughes for instance.

One more thing is - what do you think should be the default for the use_gravatar field? I thought about making it TRUE for people who don't have image uploaded on osm.org. This will automatically show people's Gravatar if they have one which could be nice from UX point of view (I guess, not sure...?) but if they don't, Gravatar will serve a placeholder. Or maybe we could even use the "monsterid" feature of Gravatar: see https://en.gravatar.com/site/implement/images/ - funny cartoon monsters instead of the standard placeholder ;-)

What do you think?

https://github.com/openstreetmap/openstreetmap-website/pull/131#issuecomment-9375959