[openstreetmap-website] Gravatar support (#131)

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Fri Oct 12 13:21:12 GMT 2012

Hi,

On 10/12/2012 03:15 PM, Paweł Paprota wrote:
> Or maybe... a crazy thought... we just remove the osm.org-hosted images
> functionality and let Gravatar handle all of this stuff? It would sure
> simplify the whole thing...

I'm wary of pushing people towards third-party, closed, commercial
platforms.

It is perfectly ok if someone chooses to use Gravatar because they like
it, or chooses github.com because of their slick user interface, or
prefers StackExchange over help.openstreetmap.org because they already
have an account there, or likes to participate in Google Groups, or
whatever. It's a free country.

But for those who don't yet use Gravatar, or github.com, StackExchange,
or Google Groups, to just name a few, I think we shouldn't be forcing
people to enter into a contract with such a third party just because
they want to participate in OSM. It's bad style. People should have a
choice.

Bye
Frederik