[openstreetmap-website] Port to Leaflet (#121)

John Firebaugh notifications at github.com
Fri Oct 12 17:25:12 BST 2012

Thanks @mourner, I appreciate the help.

I do have a question about the vector performance on IE. Due to performance concerns, we [currently limit](https://github.com/openstreetmap/openstreetmap-website/blob/d20cbd3c5c57eb8172c521c71b6d3252b44aaa60/app/assets/javascripts/index/browse.js#L227-L240) the number of features displayed in OSM's browse mode to 100 for IE < 7, 500 for IE 8, and 2000 for other browsers. Do you have any guidance as to what would be reasonable limits (if any) for Leaflet?

To update everyone on the status here, I ported the data browser yesterday. The remaining pieces that are missing are:

* Feature limits in data browser (see above).
* A resizable crop control in export. I use [Leaflet.draw](https://github.com/jacobtoye/Leaflet.draw) for dragging the initial rectangle, but in the existing export you can adjust the result via draggable handles, and I haven't implemented that.
* Image scale control in export. I need to figure out how to calculate the map scale with Leaflet; it isn't a built in function like it is with OpenLayers.
* Fix a few bugs relating to base layer changes. I'm hoping Leaflet will add a [baselayerchange event](https://github.com/CloudMade/Leaflet/issues/1064) to make this easier.
* Convert embed.html to Leaflet.

And there is one [blocking bug](https://github.com/CloudMade/Leaflet/issues/1037) in Leaflet that I'm waiting on a fix for.

I've updated [my branch](https://github.com/jfirebaugh/openstreetmap-website/tree/leaflet). Is it possible to get it deployed on a dev server so people can test this out?