Notes Branch

Tom Hughes tom at compton.nu
Tue Oct 16 15:04:53 GMT 2012

On 16/10/12 15:02, Alex Barth wrote:

> Tom - from a scalability perspective, are you worried that notes would be part of the rails port database? I mean there could be potentially tons of notes, there could be significant read / write activity on them and it seems that they could potentially live in a different datastore.

Our general approach is to wait until things like that become a problem
before worrying about them, rather then trying to guess in advance how
many we might end up with.

I imagine it will be a long time before they are anywhere near competing
with our main geodata tables for size.

The maximum area that can be fetched from the notes API may have to
adjusted in line with operational experience of course.

Moving to a separate database is always possible - we've talked about
doing that for the raw GPS data if it becomes necessary. One downside is
that it makes a foreign key constraints against users impossible.

Tom

--
Tom Hughes (tom at compton.nu)
http://compton.nu/