Notes Branch

Kai Krueger kakrueger at gmail.com
Wed Oct 17 19:32:34 GMT 2012

On 10/17/2012 11:20 AM, Andy Allan wrote:
> On 17 October 2012 17:45, Kai Krueger <kakrueger at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> The metric of 95th percentile not getting actioned upon is imho probably the
>> wrong metric. Those who comment on and fix note are the people who have an
>> OSM account already, so it wouldn't be a hurdle for them.
>
> Ah, I didn't mean quite that. For example, even if it's just
> registered users reporting issues, I can easily see that outstripping
> our ability to respond to them. The skobbler bugs, with its
> ever-increasing gap between bugs reported and bugs fixed, showed a
> similar problem. I'd be interested to know what the pattern of
> opened/commented/closed on the existing OSB instances is like,
> especially the breakdown of statuses grouped by (say) 3 month cohorts.
>
> What I'm concerned about is if we launch this completely publicly, and
> find 10,000 new notes being added per day, it might take a year or two
> to scale the community response and get mappers used to the influx.
> And if we can't cope with the influx, we might earn a poor reputation
> ("I've logged 100 reports with OSM and not a single one is fixed after
> 6 months" or similar).
>
> On the other hand, perhaps we should just go with it and see what
> happens, rather than worrying too much.

Ah, OK. Yes, that makes a lot more sense. So you are basically proposing
a limited or "soft" launch. Given that code wise, it is trivial to
enable or disable the requirement for login, doing this (if communicated
correctly to the community why this is done) sounds like the responsible
thing to do. Especially given the experience with Skobbler's MapDust.

However, one thing that this could possibly effect, is the question of
the transition phase.

I.e. basically will the old database get imported into the osm.org's
notes db and then redirect all the various sites and editors from the
schokokes page to osm.org? Or will the database start from scratch,
loosing most of the information in the old database as people start
switching?

If the osm.org notes version starts with a login requirement, then doing
a smooth (transparent) transition would be difficult and possibly messy.

What are the thoughts on such a smooth transition? Is this something
people are considering?

Kai