[openstreetmap-website] design fixes + cleanup. (#144)

Saman Bemel-Benrud notifications at github.com
Tue Oct 23 20:16:43 GMT 2012

Hi,

This pull request fixes some weird behaviors and bugs, and cleans up the design on the OSM website. There are many small changes here, but nothing too dramatic. I am still getting familiar with the site so it is possible there are unforeseen consequences to some of my changes.

There are likely some things I missed here, ltr adjustments I forgot to make, and possibly some new problems introduced, so it would be great if someone else could give this a look. It's probably not quite ready to be merged.

Most of the changes are small, but there are some big layout things I decided to do differently. They may not necessarily be better in every way, but they do fix some problems with the old layout. I moved away from an absolute-positioned #content divs everywhere. This was causing some weird problems when users scrolled down, [like not showing bottom padding](http://cl.ly/image/3l2d402o1e2X), and [prematurely cutting off the left keyline](http://cl.ly/image/2i1c441C1X1X). Now, the content area is `position: relative` most of the time, and `position: fixed` when the full screen map is in place. Using `position:fixed` on the big map is nice because you can now scroll down to see more sidebar content, [but you won't end up with an ugly block of white space under the map](http://cl.ly/image/0f051s0v1E3G).

Other minor fixes:

- [No more gap on mini zoom controls](http://cl.ly/image/3C1K40140Y1Z)
- [Dropdown arrow now actually works across browsers](http://cl.ly/image/2W3k3Q2p2c3s)
- Lots of little spacing adjustments for more consistency

All my changes should work fine in IE down to 7 (at least that's as far as I tested), and the skinny layout has been adjusted to match the site as well.

You can merge this Pull Request by running:

  git pull https://github.com/samanpwbb/openstreetmap-website design-touch-ups

Or you can view, comment on it, or merge it online at:

  https://github.com/openstreetmap/openstreetmap-website/pull/144

-- Commit Summary --

  * design fixes + cleanup.

-- File Changes --

M app/assets/images/sprite.png (0)
M app/assets/images/sprite.svg (47)
M app/assets/stylesheets/common.css.scss (87)
M app/assets/stylesheets/large.css (1)
M app/assets/stylesheets/ltr.css.scss (16)
M app/assets/stylesheets/rtl.css.scss (14)
M app/assets/stylesheets/small.css.scss (50)
M app/views/browse/_map.html.erb (4)
M app/views/layouts/site.html.erb (12)
M vendor/assets/openlayers/theme/default/style.css (7)
M vendor/assets/openlayers/theme/default/style.mobile.css (2)

-- Patch Links --

https://github.com/openstreetmap/openstreetmap-website/pull/144.patch
https://github.com/openstreetmap/openstreetmap-website/pull/144.diff

https://github.com/openstreetmap/openstreetmap-website/pull/144