[openstreetmap-website] Redesign (#498)

Kevin Kofler notifications at github.com
Mon Dec 2 11:37:53 UTC 2013

@tomhughes:
> Look people, you've had weeks to comment on this. It's merged now, and commenting more here is not going
> to achieve anything.

Most people have only become aware of the changes now that you pushed them to production.

I must say I'm really unhappy with the new history browser. The old one just worked. The new one:
* doesn't provide a decent way to get the history of a bbox like the old http://www.openstreetmap.org/browse/changesets?bbox=16.1658%2C48.1165%2C16.5386%2C48.3048 – that now redirects to http://www.openstreetmap.org/history?bbox=16.1658%2C48.1165%2C16.5386%2C48.3048 , but see for yourself how that looks, and it also doesn't show the map frame. (When the redesign was originally pushed, it redirected to a view that had both frames, but that was not of the same bbox. So at least it does something decent now, but it is ugly.)
* in Konqueror/KHTML, has several issues, in particular:
  - lockups with 100% CPU consumption under some conditions I haven't yet figured out exactly.
  - the map view on the right never shows what it should. E.g., clicking on a changeset does not update the map view accordingly.
  - various glitches when trying to interact with the map while the history is open.
* even in Konqueror/KWebKitPart (which uses QtWebKit, so should be fairly standard), does not correctly react to the back button. In particular, the map view displays the wrong area after hitting Back.

All these things were working perfectly in the old history viewer.

https://github.com/openstreetmap/openstreetmap-website/pull/498#issuecomment-29611292