[openstreetmap-website] Add welcome page (#338)

simonpoole notifications at github.com
Wed Jul 17 08:54:31 UTC 2013

I did some more thinking about the page and what I believe is a reasonable policy to take wrt mentioning companies is: only real users and no intermediaries, and nobody who is in a wide sense of the word in the GIS/Maps business as their main activity

So for example Flickr, 4square, Le Monde, USA Today, maybe Apple (I'm sure there are more) we can make a general reference to mobile apps.There are a number of government run sites using OSM that could be included too we need to ask the community for such examples (larger cities and places typicylly being as recognizable as commercial brand names). One example is http://geo.sv.rostock.de/stadtplan.html

As I wrote in my first comment the e-mail text that this is replacing has been customized for a number of languages. For example the German speaking version contains a link to openstreetmap.de. We should defintely point newbies to there local communities if such exist.

As to copying we don't want contributors copying from other maps and any other problematic source specifically this is google streetview and imagery.

https://github.com/openstreetmap/openstreetmap-website/pull/338#issuecomment-21100057