[openstreetmap-website] Disable automatic gravatar opt-in, as it violates the privacy policy (#519)

Frederik Ramm notifications at github.com
Wed Oct 30 18:48:43 UTC 2013

@ppawel, what is "alarmist" to one reader could be "diligent" to another. Users trust us with their email addresss and we promise not to hand it out; now it turns out that this promise is built on very thin ice. Do we not have a responsibility here? -- But maybe there's a middle ground. Assuming for a moment that anyone who has signed up to Gravatar is actually ok with his identity being publicly shared across all services - a claim that others might dispute but I won't here -, then maybe we could simply check *upon signup* whether a user already has a Gravatar picture. If yes, we assume they don't care for privacy and use it. If no, then we don't use it. The only downside compared to today would be that someone who signs up to OSM and later signs up to Gravatar has to opt in.

https://github.com/openstreetmap/openstreetmap-website/pull/519#issuecomment-27426644