[openstreetmap-website] New map UI (#328)

Frederik Ramm notifications at github.com
Sun Sep 1 09:24:19 UTC 2013

I would like to offer a "lesson learned" (more precisely: "lesson that should be learned") for this pull request. Many existing users were confused by the sudden loss of the "export" tab, the former functionality of which is now partly behind "share" and partly behind an export link on the left sidebar.

The lesson is: Our web site shouldn't be subjected to large changes without at least thinking of the current users and finding some way to communicate the change to them where it is not obvious. The removal of the "export" tab was such a non-obvious change. One possibility would have been to keep the export tab around as a dummy (for a while!) that would open a pop-up message explaining that the content had moved. Or a MOTD-style thing that explains the major changes of the past months. Whatever - just some sort of "transition strategy" for existing users. I understand that this is easier said than done especially in a multi-language web site. But there have been 8 questions to help.openstreetmap.org alone about the "lost" export tab, and for any user who dares to post a question there are probably ten others who just give up.

https://github.com/openstreetmap/openstreetmap-website/pull/328#issuecomment-23621561