[openstreetmap-website] Notes RSS feed should not include relative time (#798)

Tim Weber notifications at github.com
Sat Aug 2 14:30:32 UTC 2014

The Notes RSS feed is a great feature, thanks! However, when displaying the creation time of a note, it’s using a relative date (as in “created 3 hours ago”). This isn’t the brightest idea, for two reasons:

First, feeds are asynchronous things. Between the time I fetch the feed and the time I actually read it might be several hours, if not days. However, it will still say “created 3 hours ago”, which is misleading and pretty much useless.

Second, there are some feed readers that highlight differences in feed items between consecutive fetch processes (think “what has been changed in this news article since it has been published”), and relative dates cause unnecessary noise in these readers. (See [this example image](https://d2r1vs3d9006ap.cloudfront.net/s3_images/1083366/Screenshot2014-08-0216.15.46.png) from [a feature request for NewsBlur](https://getsatisfaction.com/newsblur/topics/kv5qzui28bnvu) I just opened.)

If possible, please replace the relative date with an absolute one, like “created on 2014-08-02 16:29:42 GMT”, or remove the date altogether.

https://github.com/openstreetmap/openstreetmap-website/issues/798